We all get so busy during the week it is hard to put a homemade meal on the table every night. When you put effort into making a nice dinner for your family, why not make that food last for more than one meal?
Roasted chicken is the perfect multi meal dish that is not only delicious, but can make several more meals for your family during the week.
Simple Organic Roasted Chicken
- One 4 or 5 lb Organic Whole Chicken
- 1 TBSP Organic Chopped Rosemary (** please feel free to use any combination of herbs that you like. You do not need to use all three).
- 1 TBSP Organic Chopped Thyme
- 1 TBSP Organic Chopped Sage
- 5 Garlic Cloves (Crushed or Minced with garlic press)
- 1/4 Cup Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Chop Herbs (or put in a mini food processor)
- Mince Garlic
- Mix together herbs with garlic and olive oil
- Rub salt and pepper under the chicken skin
- Rub the olive oil mixture under the skin of the chicken
- Place chicken on a roasting stand (**I believe that this is the best way to get an evenly cooked and perfectly browned chicken. In the roasting stand below, the chicken actually stands up straight. It looks pretty funny!)
- Cook 20 minutes per lb or until meat thermometer registers 180
- 1 Cup Chopped Roasted Chicken (by the way, feel free to cheat and buy an organic roasted chicken from the grocery store)
- 1 Cup Organic Frozen Peas
- 1/2 Cup of finely chopped Organic Frozen Spinach
- 1/2 TSP Pepper
- 1 TSP Salt
- Simple Cheese Sauce (see below)
- Mix chicken, peas and spinach together
- Gently stir in the simple cheese sauce and salt and pepper.
- 1 TBSP Organic Butter
- TBSP Organic all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup Organic Whole Milk
- 1/3 Cup Organic Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Melt the butter in the saucepan and stir flour in to make a smooth paste (cook for 1 minute)
- Gradually stir in the milk, bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes over low heat until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the grated cheese until melted.