Quinoa is an amazing gluten free whole grain that is packed full of protein. Sophia loves the quinoa blueberry muffins I make (see earlier post for recipe), but I wanted to give Sophia this super grain in a savory dish that can be served for lunch or dinner.
I have enjoyed trying out recipes in Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural Everyday so I decided to try out her recipe for Little Quinoa Patties. I made a batch of these and brought them to my book club (everyone LOVED them)..and one of my toughest critics (Sophia) loved them too.
Little Quinoa Patties (from the cookbook Super Natural Everyday)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa at room temperature (see blueberry quinoa muffin recipe for how to cook quinoa)
- 4 Large Organic Eggs Beaten
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1/3 Cup Organic Chopped Chives
- 1 Organic Yellow Onion finely chopped (this part is really important if you are serving these to your kiddos)
- 1/3 Cup grated Organic Guyere or Aged Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Organic Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Organic Breadcrumbs (I have tried Italian and Plain and both worked well) plus more if needed
- water, if needed
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the quinoa, eggs and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the chives, onion, cheese, and garlic.
- Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a few minutes so the breadcrumbs can absorb the moisture. At this point you should have a mixture that you can easily form into 12 patties (think hamburgers). If needed, add more breadcrumbs or if the mixture is too dry add water or egg. (err on the moist side)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium low. Add six patties, cover and cook for 7-10 minutes or until deeply golden brown.
- Carefully flip patties and cook for another 7 minutes or until golden brown.