As the weather gets cooler I tend to crave a warm breakfast to start out my day. I love making oatmeal, but it takes some time and attention. Mornings can be hectic for many of us, especially when you add an energetic kid to the mix. Using your slow cooker to make oatmeal is super easy and breakfast is ready to go when you wake up in the morning.
Steel cut oats are an amazing whole grain. They are great source of fiber, protein, magnesium, iron, potasium and carbohydrates.
I made an apple cinnamon steel cut oatmeal in the slow cooker last night. Sophia LOVED it and so did my husband (who normally frowns at the sight of oatmeal).
- 1 Cup Organic Steel Cut Oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Organic Apple Juice (you can use all water if you prefer)
- 2 TBSP Organic Brown Sugar
- 1/2 TSP Cinnamon
- 1 TBSP Organic Butter
- 1 Medium Apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 Hours or overnight.
- In the morning, stir the oatmeal well.