I am always trying to find ways to add more veggies/greens to Sophia’s diet. Introducing new veggies like asparagus, green beans etc. doesn’t always go over well. Often, Sophia spits new veggies out and then proceeds to throw them on the floor. (Note: I do keep trying because I think it is really important to keep introducing new healthy foods into her diet. I hope eventually she will like some of the new things I offer. She actually does surprise me sometimes :-)) For those Moms out there who have experienced similar toddler behavior regarding veggies (and I am sure there are plenty of you), a Green Smoothie is a great option that your kids will love.
The recipe below is for a basic green smoothie with Kale, Apple and Spinach. Use this recipe as your base and get creative by adding other fruit such as frozen blueberries or a banana.
Kale is loaded with antioxidants and fiber and supports the body’s detoxification process. Spinach is also rich in antioxidants, fiber and is a good source of iron.
Popeye Organic Green Smoothie
- 1/2 Cup of Organic Apple Juice (you can substitute water or use a mixture of both)
- 2 Cups of loosely packed organic baby spinach
- 1 Large Organic Apple (peeled and cut in cubes)
- 1/2 Cup of Kale
- Optional: 1/4 Cup of Organic Frozen Blueberries
- Peel apple and cut into cubes.
- Pull Kale Leaves from the stem. The idea is that you only want to use the leaves, not the chewy rib that goes up the center.
- Rip Kale leaves into pieces.
- Throw all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. This is where you need to “wing it”. If it is too thick add more water/juice…too thin add some more fruit or spinach.